Thursday, October 23, 2008

Withdrawals

I'd been feeling ill most of the night. Just felt wrong. I don't know how to explain it. I started getting worried it was something to do with the baby. I was almost ready to call and wake my doctor up at one point and time. Then I realized, I'm going through withdrawals. I EFFING hate withdrawals. I stopped taking my Ambien last night after tapering off to the lowest dose you could possibly chop a pill into. It was somewhere around 2.5mg I was taking for the last several weeks. So tonight when I started to feel weird and a little sick to my stomach, it wasn't anything to do with the baby. I'm going to be honest, I was/am addicted to those little pills. It's hard to go years and years without a good night's sleep and then have a pill handed to you that not only gives you those things but makes going to bed something pleasant and not something I dreaded. I'm taking a small dose of Lunesta right now to try and combat the effects of the Ambien. I had completely forgotten that I could have symptoms from the withdrawal other than issues with sleeping. Tomorrow will be worse. The second day without them always is. You body builds this drug up inside it and it takes about seven days to remove it all but the second and third day are usually the hardest for the withdrawals. I am NOT looking forward to tomorrow. It's been a fight just to get myself to the point that I would and DID say ok, I'm quitting them. I said it quite a few times, over and over but then I'd say just one more night or I have to get up early in a few days anyways so why stop taking them till after then, etc. etc. Finally, I made the first move and got this thing going. I just really hate withdrawals. They totally suck. I did find a book I'm going to buy on Friday through looking at different forums of people talking about their addiction to these pills. It's called Say Goodnight to Insomnia By Gregg D. Jacobs. (well the title is a lot longer but that's all you need to know about it if you're interested) Several people on those sites said it helped them a great deal and it only takes six weeks. Six weeks to get to the point where I can sleep without taking pills? That my friends, would be a miracle, but I'm going to give it a try.

3 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

Let me know how the book works for you. I completely understand not sleeping well. Especially this morning. I'm pissed at Paul and slept on the couch. That is NOT a comfortable way to get a good nights sleep.

I hate going to bed mad. It was his doing and he didn't fix it so...the hell with it. I have a stubborn streak in me a mile long. The man doesn't know what he's in for. I'm not talking to him either...What makes a guy so damn (add whatever curse you want here) idiotic to think they know you..that well...

Ugh..the problem is he's mad because I have a tendency to nail whatever is up with him on the head. My feelings are own up to it, don't try to insult me to make yourself look better. Ugh.. sorry guys suck some times...Some days I wonder why I don't just stay alone. (Hugs)Indigo

Beth said...

I hope the book works. I can imagine that it would be hard to wean yourself off of the Ambien, but I can tell just from reading you for a while that you're the tiniest bit strong-willed. ;) So I know you can do it! Hang in there, Jamie.

Hugs, Beth

Hey, my word verification was "comet." Cool!

Wes said...

"You can Do It!" I hope the book works, and you know how I am. I too suffer from insomnia, but don't take pills. Not that I didn't want to, most of them didn't work for me. I hope your night will be easier for you, and hope you feel better!

Peace&Love
Wes