Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The day

The beginning of the day wasn't very pleasant for me or Jasmine. I knew as soon as she woke me up that she wasn't feeling well. She immediately asked for the water I keep next to the bed and drank it faster than I was comfortable with. Even so, I had an extremely difficult time falling asleep the night before so I napped while she sat on the bed and watched Dora. I think she fell asleep at the end of the bed as Dora was over and The Crocodile Hunter was on in it's place. Usually Jasmine wakes me up to turn something else on but this had been on almost a half hour. She woke me up saying Mommy and she was throwing up. It's not unusual with her. It happens every few months and I truly believe it's normal for a kid to throw up occasionally. This time freaked me out a little bit. The moment she was done throwing up, she passed out. I thought she just laid her head in my lap but when I tried to talk to her, I realized she was completely asleep. She responded to me when I talked to her however, so I just let her sleep while I tried to clean up around her, being as I was unable to move. After a half hour or so, she woke back up and complained of her stomach bothering her. I knew it was only a matter of time as I could hear her tummy making noises. Of course, she wanted to drink a ton of water when she woke up. It was like pulling teeth getting her to slow down and then eventually, taking away the water. She threw up not long after and slept very lightly afterwards. When she woke up completely, I allowed her only a small amount of water. It would be about an hour before I was pretty sure she wasn't going to get sick again. As I said, we've been through this before and I'm getting pretty good at figuring out when the worst of it is over. A half hour later she began to say her stomach was hurting again but I had a pretty good feeling that she was overly hungry by that time. We were able to talk her into eating some crackers and within a half hour, she was fine. I'm not sure my husband has ever witnessed how quickly she goes from being sick to bouncing off the walls. I kept telling him it's like a switch is flipped and she's just suddenly fine. I cleaned up and she was running through the house, talking up a storm and playing. She even had a piece of pizza.
The fish are doing well, particularly Fred, the electric blue lobster. He started to perk up within an hour of removing the heater. He ate a lot better tonight as well. It's a good thing I had problems sleeping as the temperature in the tank was already over 89. (as high as it goes on my thermometer) I'm certain that by the time I woke up, most if not all of the fish would've died.
I'm watching the Freebirthing show now. My brain is having difficulty doing two things at once. These women are nutty but somehow manage their pain far better than I could have or even that I did. I still think that it's absurd to go through the delivery with no back up whatsoever. It's terrifying to me the amount of women who have never heard of this practice before seeing this show and now may decide to birth at home without a medical professional. I know there are women out there who wouldn't have considered it before seeing this show.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad Jasmine is feeling better - how wierd she goes from being sick to bouncing off the walls just like that...it's good to be a kid.

Yikes...I wouldn't want to watch a show about childbirth. Just the thought of it makes me hurt. I would prefer to be in a coma and then when I wake up they tell me it is over. LOL.
xxx

Beth said...

Oh, poor Jas. I'm glad she's better now--and I'm glad for you both it didn't last any longer!

Also happy for Fred the lobster and the other "tankies." I could make a lame joke about having the butter at the ready, but that wouldn't be all that funny. ;) Honestly, I'm glad all is well with them!

Hugs, Beth

Wes said...

I'm glad all is well with Jasmine, and hope you are feeling well too. It is good to hear the fish, and Lobster are fine.I respect those "crazy women" for the ability to do childbrth that way. I hope you have a good evening, and a better day tomorrow.

Peace&Love
Wes

Sage Ravenwood said...

Skye was the same way. Other than the torrenial throw-ups here and there. She rarely ever got sick with a cold, flu anything. Glad Jasmine is feeling better now. I used to keep a full tank of exotic fish. In the end I now own just a huge fancy Goldfish. Amythest is about as big as my hand now. I think it's because she's the only one in a 30 gallon tank. They say the bigger the tank, the more the fish tend to grow...Delighted Fred is getting back to himself.

So how's the jungle today? (Hugs)Indigo