Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Then there's always cookies

Doctor says everything I'm feeling is normal. Apparently, the more times your pregnant, the more pain you seem to feel in your uterus and cervix. He also stated that if I go into labor anytime from now on, they will not stop it. I gave him just about the same look as I did when I was pregnant with Jasmine and he wanted to strip my membranes... and the nursery for the kid wasn't done yet. It's kind of a the hell you won't look. ;) He refused to do anything for my restless leg syndrome, which I expected. He doesn't seem to like writing prescriptions. At least it will start to fade after the baby is born.

I made probably the best cookies I've ever tasted today. (recipe to follow) I've had this recipe for a while but it just didn't sound that appealing to me. How wrong was I? I almost started a second batch as soon as the first was done but by then it was midnight and I thought, really I don't need that many cookies. (I'm sending half of what I have to work with my husband) I even told my husband that if these cookies were human, I would leave him for them. ;)~ After trying one, he said the feeling was mutual. I know I'm good at baking but sometimes you wonder if you just like it because you're used to it. You can grow up eating sub-par food and think it's pretty good, until you try someone else's cooking. So it was a little ego boost when my husband told me what one of his friends said. His friend has made comments many times that I should do this for a living. (I prefer animals to cookies however) He even went as far this time as to tell my husband he'd be willing to back me if I went into business. He also said that every cookie he eats, he finds himself comparing to mine. Granted, my opinion of the guy isn't real high and that I think he'd eat almost anything short of rat poisoning but it's nice to know that someone else (other than family) enjoys my cooking as much as I do. While I enjoy baking, I would hate it if it were something I had to do for a living. That being said, if one of Shawn's friends needed me to bake something for an event and wanted to pay me, I'd be more than willing but it's not something I want to do everyday. Not that I didn't enjoy the momentary inflation of my baking ego.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips of your choice (semi-sweet, caramel/milk chocolate swirl, chocolate/white chocolate swirl)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Mix in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 8-10 minutes or just until set. (when cookies have slight cracks in them and no longer appear to be "wet") Cool on wire rack or risk a burned tongue and eat them immediately.

When making these I divided up the batter into several bowls before adding the chips. I wanted to try them with the caramel/chocolate swirl, the white chocolate and the white chocolate/chocolate swirl without making three different batters. They all taste really good but by far, the caramel/chocolate swirl chips were the best. It was like those little swirls were created just for this recipe. They're definitely cookies that go well with a glass of milk or hot cocoa. If you like cookies at all, I think you'll enjoy these. I was worried that they would be too chocolaty tasting but they're just perfect. (I made chocolate truffle cookies last week and I couldn't stomach the amount of chocolate that was in them, however they were a big hit at husband's work)

3 comments:

cw2smom said...

The cookies sound heavenly Jamie!! I loved your reference to if they were human and the hubs feelin' the same! Good one! I hope you feel as good as you can under the "pregnant" circumstances! Love! Lisa

Ken Riches said...

Glad the contraction was isolated. The cookies sound yum!

Beth said...

Glad you're hanging in there, and wow, it's getting close...!

I cracked up over how if those cookies were human, you'd leave Shawn for them...and after tasting them, he felt the same way about you! Awww! ;)

Love, Beth