Saturday, December 20, 2008

Irrational?

Something happened at my OB appointment on Tuesday and I wasn't sure if I'd blog about it or not. I'm not sure if it's as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be in my head but I was at the time and still am, quite offended. I walked into the office and there was a huge line at reception so I'm thinking 'great, we're going to waiting FOREVER to see the doctor for an appointment that takes all of five minutes.' While I was waiting, a girl came up on the elevator and she walked past everyone else in line. I wasn't sure if she was going to try and get ahead of those of us who had been waiting or if she was just trying to get out of the way of anyone else coming off the elevator. I was the person who would've been in line right before this girl. Who, for purposes of this story I must tell that her race was black. (usually I would just say girl or guy as the color of someones skin isn't usually important to a story IMO) She was extremely polite and was just trying to stay out of the way and never once attempted to cut in line. I went, sat down and within a few minutes (surprise) my name was called, at almost the exact same time as her's was. Her nurse weighed her first and then asked for her urine sample (those unaware, pregnant women are supposed to provide a sample every single visit) and she said she had forgotten it and had just used the restroom. (I actually saw her go into the bathroom, by the way) I was then weighed by my nurse (thankfully, she's not my normal nurse) and taken to a room. While in the room with the nurse, as she was taking my blood pressure, she made a comment that still has me wondering what she was thinking by even saying it. She said that she sometimes thinks that pregnant women don't bring in their urine sample because they're afraid the nurses are drug testing them. The way she said this made me very much think that the only reason she made this statement was because the girl was in fact black. She laughed as she was talking about it, all the while I sat there in stunned silence. I really didn't say much to her at all after that comment. Keep in mind this is a very nice OB's office and extremely expensive. (if I didn't have the insurance I have, there's no way I would be able to afford to go here) They don't accept payments of any kind and make it difficult for Medicaid patients to go there. (you have to jump through a lot of hoops, I know as I was on it when I was pregnant with Jasmine) I didn't think the girl acted strange at all about not having the urine with her. If I had to guess, I'd say it was her first pregnancy and it's an easy thing to forget about. She was also very early in her pregnancy so I'm sure her brain wasn't really trained to remember to pee in a cup every appointment yet. When I was pregnant with Jasmine, I forgot numerous times to pee in my cup and there were a few times I remembered to pee in it but forgot it at home. When you're pregnant, your brain is kind of foggy. You forget things easily and are extremely absentminded. I really feel like this nurse was out of line with her comment. Both me and my husband haven't liked her from the beginning, although we both love the doctor she nurses for. Another thing she did that irked me, this appointment was for my regular check up as well as my group B strep test. (I have no plans of explaining to you what that entails, if you're that interested you'll have to look it up) She asked me if I knew what it was and I said yes. I've been through this before and it wasn't that long ago. I haven't forgotten any of the tests that need to be done while I'm pregnant, lest of all, that one. When my doctor knocked on the door to come in, I heard her in the other room say to him that I "claim" to know what the group B strep test is but he might want to remind me. My doctor said, 'you realize, she's done this once before?' (Jasmine was in the room with me by the way and makes herself hard to miss) I'm so glad I won't have to deal with her this Tuesday. Unfortunately, I have to see a doctor that isn't one of my regulars as the three doctors I normally see were completely booked. As it is, the doctor I'm seeing is triple booked for that appointment. It will be nice when this pregnancy is over and I only have to see my regular OB and my regular nurse. (both of which are awesome... I wish I could have my nurse with me during delivery to be honest) After this appointment, I am going to (again) request to see my normal OB if at all possible since I've only gotten to see him for one normal appointment this entire pregnancy.

Today seems to have flown by. It was over before it began. We didn't even get around to making dinner till 10pm and then I wasn't even able to get into the shower till midnight. It wasn't one of those days where it goes by fast because you're having too much fun either. We were just in a blah kind of mood. I surely hope tomorrow is better. I don't have anywhere I need to go except for one place to pick up some finishing touches for a few presents, as well as grab some more wrapping paper and boxes.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Prejudice can be subtle. While this nurse might not have said anything outright, she has her own feelings about the matter, and she assumed that you would have those same feelings. This can be a fairly prejudiced area, as you know, and I hope you gave her the stinkeye!

As for her comment about how you "claim" to know what the Group B test is...how condescending! Sounds to me like she's decided the patients she sees are ignorant, drug-addled children. You'll be lucky when you can get away from her.

I'll explain the Group B Strep test for you! The bacteria can be a normal inhabitant of the vagina, part of the "normal flora." But all pregnant women need to get the test if they're planning on delivering vaginally, because it can cause meningitis in newborns--they pick up the bacteria on their way through the vaginal canal, and can get the serious and sometimes fatal infection. So they test pregnant women before delivery and if they are carrying the bacteria, they get preventive antibiotics. Certain types of the test can also be run stat, so if a women goes into labor before she's had the test done, the lab can get the results to the doc quickly.

This has been a Public Service Announcement from your friendly neighborhood microbiologist. :)

Love, Beth

Ken Riches said...

Hope when it is all done, that you write a letter to the office and let them know your feelings.

cw2smom said...

Hi Sweetie! Sorry about your encounter with Nurse Wretched! But, one thing I am learning is that we can't control what others think, do or say..but we can control our reactions, so don't let stuff like that get to you in your delicate condition. She's not worth it and not paying any rent in your beautiful head! Wish her well and let it go. Thanks to Beth for that very good explanation of the Group B Strep test. Things have changed since I was pregnant, or if they haven't...I have darn sure forgotten such interesting details. LOL!

Sage Ravenwood said...

It's been 20 and a half years since I was last pregnant, so I'm sure I'm NOT up to date on the latest testing requirements. The nurse sounds like the one who draws blood at my drs. office. And yes, I have lodged a complaint against her. I won't be treated like it's my fault, she thinks I make life more difficult for her since I'm deaf.

That remark was offensive and no matter what her opinions were, should of NEVER been said to another patient. Then to go ahead and assume you have no idea what test your having done...ugh...the woman is quite frankly a self centered walking waste. People like that need to try to one up everyone else to feel good about themselves. My opinion, they are pretty empty considering the lengths they go to. (Hugs)Indigo