Saturday, November 29, 2008

Giving thanks and fevers

Thanksgiving was really good. Good food. Good family. Good times. ;) Jasmine had a blast playing with her second cousin. Never mind that he's 14 or 15 years older than she is. She was just happy to have someone new to con into hide and seek.

Today was another story all together. I knew immediately that something was off with Jazz. She said she wanted water and that her tummy hurt. Based on her track record, that usually means it's going to be a very long morning and that she's going to throw up at least once. Today there was no vomiting but I was shocked by the heat coming off her forehead. I didn't think she was too overheated as her cheeks were still just a little warm. I was quite wrong. After a few hours, I took her temperature since she was still not feeling well and really starting to look pale. It was 103.7, the highest fever she has had. I first called my husband to let him know she was really hot, then called my mom to see what she would do. I was in the process of getting her to take some tylenol. A half hour after she took the tylenol, I took her temperature again and then called my mom, as promised. Her fever had went down to 102.7 and within another half hour, it was down to 101.5. The last time I took it, it was normal but she was still under the influence of medication. While her fever was down, she was feeling really good and kept asking to go get our Christmas tree, since that's what I told her we'd be doing today. (we go every year the day after Thanksgiving) Finally, I broke down and we headed out. We took home the second or third tree we looked at. It didn't look that big, particularly compared to it's friends. It was 8 1/2 feet tall. Oops. We had to cut half a foot off of it once we got it in the living room. However, I think it's the most gorgeous tree we've had yet. It looks fake, it's so perfect. If it weren't for the very small bare spot near the top, it really would look perfect. Very pretty tree.

Back to Jazz, she's sleeping now but her tylonel is set to wear off in about a half hour. I'm nervous to go to sleep before then. Both times I've let the medicine wear off, her fever has spiked. I've always been concerned with fever induced seizures. I don't know how common they are but it's something I worry about. (one of many things) It probably won't make a difference any way, I usually can't fall asleep this early. I'm also concerned that Jasmine has no symptoms other than the fever. No sniffles, coughing, sneezing, nothing. The only thing she's said is that her tummy hurts and that she's sick. Being a parent is no fun when you have no idea what the hell you're supposed to do.


Adirondackcountrygal said...

Probably Jasmine picked up some funky virus. Sarah my daughter used to get them all the time. Fever and just complaints of being miserable, but they came and went within a day or so. Jasmine should be fine!

Lisa said...

I'm happy to hear you had a nice thanksgiving with family. I'm not happy to hear poor Jazz is sick though. Bless her little heart, I hope she starts feeling better very soon.

Wes said...


I hope all goes well with the illness. I'm glad you were able to get a nice tree, and enjoy your Holiday. I'm off to your other entry.