Monday, June 22, 2009

Must... Close... Eyes

I am so tired. Yesterday, I started feeling like I was seriously going to throw up so I took a pill for it. It's a prescription and it's also used as a sedative along with anti-vomiting. I've taken these before and never had the sedative be so effective. I think I've only been awake a total of about five hours throughout the day and I'm very much so ready to go back to sleep. I'm just waiting on Jazz to pass out. I just hope that once I wake up, it'll have finally worn off.

I am officially a registered bone marrow donor now. It's something I've wanted to for years but my fear of needles has held me back. But while I sit here, healthy and procrastinating for fear of a little stick, someone out there could be dying and need my marrow. I had also been under the impression that I had to go where ever the patient was in the US when they needed my marrow to donate. That's not true. I have about a three hour drive to one of the places that takes donated bone marrow and then they will get it to the person who needs it. If I would've had to fly somewhere, I wouldn't have been able to do it. Making my husband take a day off work to drive me somewhere is one thing, making him take a week off, is another. I could be called in a few months, a few years or never. There is another way to donate on the same site but I really don't think I'd be able to. They take all the blood out of your body, filter it through a machine to get out stem cells and then put what's left back in through another IV. I just don't think I could keep myself from passing out through a process that would take that long. I feel guilty as hell saying that but I just couldn't.

Tuesday I go in for my eye doctor appointment. It's the year that they'll be checking the pressure in my eye. It's pretty much a guarantee that I'll pass out during that test. It's why they've put off doing it for so long. It's not even a response that I knew I was going to have when it first happened. The doctor said there's some immediate response in some people that happens when an object touches their eye. I get to be one of those people. :) Maybe now that I'm aware that it happens, I can try and distract my brain during the process.

5 comments:

Wes said...

Jamie:

Wait a minute! When I heard you did this and shots are involved. I had too, if you can do it, so can I. :) Plus for a good cause, thank you for the invite. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

P&L
Wes

Lisa said...

I have always thought about becoming a bone marrow donor but haven't done so yet. You inspire me to get on it.

Mouth pain is the worst of everything - (I read alot of your previous entries) I hope you are feeling better with that now.

Happy belated birthday to Jasmine! I loved the zoo pics, I sure hope my turtle doesn't get that big or I'm in trouble!!!

Take good care,
xxxxxxx
Lisa

Ken Riches said...

I am a donor on my license, but have not taken the next step.

I have an eye appointment next week, but I hope mine goes better :o)

Perry Reichanadter said...

Yea, good for you and good for the patient you'll save!

Beth said...

Part of my training as a Medical Technologist was to assist on bone marrow aspirates. I'm not afraid of needles at all, but I just can't do an aspirate...it's one of those things that gives me the heebie jeebies. I am definitely an organ donor, though! Hugs, Beth