Saturday, September 27, 2008

BP's

I think I may end up calling my OB on Monday. I'm getting concerned with my bp and my pulse. Last night I felt like my heart was pounding/racing. I found the only clock in our house that has a second hand and found that my heart rate was 105 a minute. That is extremely high for me. My normal, pre pregnancy heart rate is the high 60's/low 70's. I know it's supposed to be higher in pregnancy but I thought that was a little extreme. After a few hours, my pulse went down to middle 80's, probably very normal. Tonight, when we were out, my heart rate again felt like it was racing so I went to a bp machine while my husband paid for our groceries and my bp was 112 over 60. That's really high for me, particularly the top number. My pulse was back up to 95 at that time. I just want to be told its normal and if they want me to come in, I'll be able to find out if I'm spilling protein into my urine. I had relatively low bp's while pregnant with Jasmine and never had any issues with it. If anything, they felt it was on the low side. That's always been the feeling with my bp. It's no wonder I faint easily. (ok, mainly when a needle is involved) My next appointment isn't until the 13th and I'm not sure if I feel comfortable waiting that long to ask. I'll be fine if a nurse tells me it's fine and that I can wait, but I think I'd like to know. Baby has been moving like normal, which has been a relief. I'm to the point in my pregnancy that if there's a change in movement, I notice it without even realizing I'm paying attention. I know it seems like I worry a lot but I actually think it's far less than what the average pregnant woman goes through. I'm a part of a forum of women who are due the same month I am and there are days I wonder if their OB's hate them. Some of them call several times a week for normal aches and pains that come with being pregnant. Many of them have been to the ER on several occasions already, only a few with good reason. I'm usually a wait and see person and only called my OB with a problem once with my last pregnancy. (and had an emergency appointment that same day... nothing was wrong however) OB's have to breathe a sigh of relief when they get a patient who isn't paranoid that every possible symptom is some major problem in their pregnancy. There are so many resources out there, particularly on the internet, that it's enough to make the most calm and controlled mom, panic. I like to be informed but I think there's such a thing as being overly so. Sometimes a little ignorance is bliss. Ask any female OB who has also been pregnant at one point and time.

No comments: